- Nov 11, 2017 - Steven is thankful to be a These Numbers Have Faces' scholar, and is thankful for all the donors who are impacting his community! He loves spending time with his family and friends during the Christmas holiday and hopes to be home.
- Oct 8, 2017 - Over the summer, Steven taught economics to students at the Kiziba Camp, and he is looking forward to starting his third year of university!
- May 25, 2017 - Something Steven wishes more people knew about Rwanda is that today it's a very peaceful country, healed by forgiveness after the 1994 Rwandan Genocide.
- March 27, 2017 - When asked about the 3 things he values most, Steven said forgiveness, helping vulnerable people and God!
- Dec 8, 2016 - In 2017 Steven is ready to work his hardest to achieve his highest marks yet. One of his goals is to also become a better communicator!
- Nov 20, 2016 - When asked about what he's thankful for, Steven said he's grateful for those who have supported him through his education, and his aunties at These Numbers Have Faces!
- June 30, 2016 - Steven just finished his 1st year of University! Over the summer holiday Steven is tutoring his younger siblings so they are better prepared for their studies next year. What a great brother!
- April 20, 2016 - When Steven thinks of role model leaders, he pictures Nelson Mandela. What Steven admires most was Mandela was his fervent hope and the way he encouraged others.
- March 4, 2016 - When asked about his new goals for term, Steven said he wants to practice more creative thinking and continue to improve his scores in University!
- Feb 1, 2016 - Steven recently read a book on the principles of accounting! With his vision to one day start his own business, Steven said this book filled him with insight and inspiration.
- Jan 21, 2016 - Steven's Community Impact Project is volunteering with the UNHCR to help provide food and resources to those in Kiziba Refugee Camp. We're so thankful Steven is an advocate for the people of his community!
- Dec 23, 2015 - What was Steven's happiest moment of the semester? His first day of classes! Steven's greatest hope was to one day go to university. We are so excited to watch him live out his dream!
- Nov 8, 2015 - How many languages does Steven speak? 4! Kinyarwanda, English, French and Swahili!
I. MacQuarrie - Seattle, WA
BioSteven was born in DRC, but due to violence, he and his family fled to Rwanda in 1996. The first refugee camp they arrived to, however, was soon attacked. Steven’s three older brothers were killed in the massacre. The family fled to another camp, Kiziba, where they currently live. Adults in Kiziba Camp started their own schools to help educate youth, but most have no hope of attending university. Steven wants to change that story. Pursuing higher education is his chance to live out his dream of becoming an accountant, as well as a leader in his community and eventually his country, DRC! “My hope is to be a servant leader and ensure the youth of my community receive higher education.”
Outside of classes, Steven is a member of his church choir. He also helped collect data on his community for a national project!