- May 25, 2017 - Something Smith wishes more people knew about Rwanda is the country's focus on training youth through vocational programs.
- March 28, 2017 - When asked about the 3 things he values most, Smith said friendship, working hard and love!
- Feb 13, 2017 - Smith feels empowered in the face of challenges, for in them, he believes God has planned his story and will give him the strength to overcome them!
- Dec 28, 2016 - In 2017 Smith wants to dream bigger. Beyond working to increase his grades, Smith wants to take more leadership roles in extra curricular activities, like becoming president of his school's medical student association!
- Dec 8, 2016 - Smith's role model is Nelson Mandela. Smith admires Mandela's legacy of unity, forgiveness and equality for his country.
- Nov 20, 2016 - When asked about what he's thankful for, Smith said being part of These Numbers Have Faces. Now he feels empowered and capable to overcome any challenge he faces!
- Oct 14, 2016 - Smith had a busy summer! Most of his time was spent doing community service where he worked with youth in exchange programs.
S. & L. Johnson - Coronado, CA
N. Oberg & L. Feng - Beaverton, OR
Umpqua Bank - Portland, OR
BioSmith spent his childhood in both Uganda and Rwanda. Out of all the communities he lived in, there was a common theme that disturbed him -- a lack of health care. Smith couldn’t recall more than a handful of times he’d seen a doctor, and watched as his family and neighbors’ health declined without proper treatment. Instead of feeling hopeless about his reality, Smith became determined to make a difference. Now studying medicine, Smith’s vision is to become a doctor, dedicating his life to helping the most vulnerable members of society. “I shall never quit until the day where the world will see my positive impact. I believe that the biggest failure we face in our daily life is to quit in things we believe in.”
Outside the classroom, Smith has worked to start reproductive health and family planning programs in refugee camps, and is a member international medical student groups!