- May 25, 2017 - Something Rafiki wishes more people knew about D.R. Congo is that despite negative things, the country still has many positives.
- March 27, 2017 - When asked about the 3 things he values most, Rafiki said his parents, education and business!
- Feb 13, 2017 - Rafiki says he feels empowered when people show their care for others. Being part of These Numbers Have Faces has allowed him to feel cared for, and opportunities to care for others, too!
- Jan 17, 2017 - Life isn't without challenges. Last year Rafiki struggled with learning to do life more independently, as his family was resettled to the US. While challenging, he is seeing how he's becoming more responsible!
- Dec 8, 2016 - In 2017 Rafiki has set his goals to improves his grades and practice better time management. He believes good leaders are organized, and he is well on his way to owning that skill!
- Nov 20, 2016 - When asked about what he's thankful for, Rafiki said all those who helped him to have this opportunity to continue his studies, for it is changing his life!
- June 30, 2016 - Rafiki just finished his 1st year at University! This summer he will return home to Gihembe Refugee Camp where he plans to help his siblings with their studies, work at his brother’s shop, and read a book from our Leadership Library
- April 20, 2016 - When Rafiki thinks of role model leaders, he pictures Rwandan President Paul Kagame. What he admires about Kagame is his emphasis on teaching people to learn skills to become entrepreneurs.
- March 4, 2016 - When asked about his new goals for term, Rafiki said he wants to increase his knowledge on business practices, and score higher than 80% in his University courses!
- Jan 21, 2016 - Rafiki's Community Impact Project is helping educate and advise members of his community in how to use resources for their surroundings to create a business! We're excited he's using entrepreneurship trainings to help counsel others!
- Dec 28, 2015 - What was the happiest moment of Rafiki's year? His first day of classes at University! Rafiki said he once had no hope of going to University. We are so thankful he's part of our program!
- Nov 8, 2015 - How many languages does Rafiki speak? 3! Kinyarwanda, Swahili and English!
J. & T. Dernison - Portland, OR
BioWhen Rafiki was a little boy he watched his peaceful community in Congo become uprooted by violence. For the last 20 years, Rafiki’s family has lived as refugees in Rwanda, primarily in Gihembe Refugee Camp. Along with the struggles of poverty that exist in the camp, Rafiki has also lost both of his parents. Raising himself and his siblings has been difficult, but Rafiki has held fast to these words: “One day the sun will shine.” Believing that a University degree can change his life, Rafiki is highly motivated to excel in his courses, gaining skills to help bring his family and community out of poverty.
In Gihembe Refugee Camp, Rafiki acts as a coordinator for the English Speaking Club and volunteers as a teacher at a primary school.