Director of Development
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Job Tale: Full-time, permanent
Hours: 40 hours/week
Salary: $50,000-60,000, depending on experience
Annual Budget: $1 million
Who We Are
These Numbers Have Faces is an international social enterprise based in Portland, Oregon and Kigali, Rwanda. Through education, leadership, and entrepreneurship, we invest in Africa’s brightest young people to lead and empower their countries. .
We are seeking a Director of Development to lead our fundraising initiatives from our international office in Portland, Oregon USA, which serves our programs in East Africa.
The Director of Development and the small team they lead is responsible for engaging donors and leveraging key relationships to ensure metrics and revenue goals are met. In partnership with our Executive Director, Board of Directors, and staff, they will be implementing comprehensive, cost-effective fundraising tools across a wide spectrum of activities.
We believe fundraising is more than a transactional process. Our board, donors, staff, and program participants are partners in accomplishing a vital mission of community transformation in Africa. As such, we have human-centered outcomes for all of our relationships. The fundraising process must catalyze donors toward the following:
- Connecting to the global process of human and spiritual transformation
- Compassion for the last and the least
- Seeking justice and solutions to human suffering
- Igniting joyful generosity
- Empowering people and engaging them to act
Who You Are
You’re a seasoned fundraiser with a strong background in the nonprofit and social innovation space. Your creativity and work ethic has already taken organizations to new heights, and you look forward to a fresh challenge.
You have excellent relationship building skills. You’re organized and pragmatic, innovative and outgoing. You network like a pro, work well under pressure, and committed to helping young leaders rise in Africa.
You thrive on excellence, out-of-the-box thinking, and brainstorming creative ways to inspire champions and ignite investors. You see their skills and interests as a value add to the These Numbers Have Faces family.
As Director of Development, you’ll be an executive leader in our office and work closely with our entrepreneurial team in Portland, Oregon. Your dedication and collaboration will generate impact throughout Africa.
The Director of Development is the senior member of our development team and in collaboration with other staff will be responsible for hitting key revenue metrics.
For 2018, you are a major player in helping us meet our $1 million plus budget from diverse sources such as: Foundations, Corporate Partners, Major Donors, Global Partners, Church Partners, Africa Fundraising Trips, Yearly Campaigns, Events, and more.
In collaboration with other development team members, responsibilities include the following:
- Developing new sources of revenue from individuals, corporations, faith communities, and foundations.
- Cultivating and stewarding relationships with potential high net-worth partners.
- Reviewing and improving current fundraising strategies and operations.
- Enhance the fundraising skills, techniques and capability of staff and board members.
- In partnership with Executive Director, Director of Global Impact, and our marketing partners, planning and implementing campaign strategies consistent with These Numbers Have Faces international action plans and branding.
- Maintaining a regular schedule of in-person visits with donors, corporate officers, foundations, and board members.
- Establishing and maintain close, direct contact with local corporate, community, church and civic leaders to ensure top-level engaged leadership.
- Advising and review campaign materials, communication and promotional programs in support of fundraising efforts.
- Facilitating and coordinating staff activities related to records management in our SalesForce database, maintaining current and accurate files on all donors, and ensuring security and quality controls.
- Generating queries, reports, exports and other collection data as needed.
- Representing These Numbers Have Faces publicly through speaking events, fundraising pitches, and social gatherings. The ideal candidate will possess experience, track record, and proven capacity to lead a team to accomplish the tasks outlined above.
- A willingness to travel both locally and internationally for fundraising events and leading teams of donors to East Africa.
Specifically, the candidate must have:
- 3-5 years’ success in fund development preferably in a global non-profit organization
- Demonstrated ability in conducting major financing activities, strategic partnerships, and personal relationships.
- Experience cultivating, recruiting and managing relationships at the $2,000+ level.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- The ability to set objectives, lead, motivate and manage staff and volunteers.
- Excellent relationship skills; initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision and to handle multiple, simultaneous activities and priorities.
- Strong character focused on integrity, humility, servant leadership and the empowerment of others.
- A four year college degree. MA/MPA is desired but not required.
- Experience, knowledge, and excitement about the future of Africa.
- Bright, passionate, and committed to innovative approaches to the nonprofit/social enterprise sector
- Knowledge of the social innovation space and the growing evolution of high-impact nonprofits
- Strong ability to think outside the box , self-starter, and self-disciplined
- Ability to work legally in the USA.
- Success in roles requiring execution of multiple tasks while responding to multiple priorities
- Comfortable working with communities of faith and a predominantly Christian context
- Flexible and creative when it comes to problem-solving and conflict resolution
- Excitement for These Numbers Have Faces and a deep desire to see young people empowered in Africa
$50,000 - $60,000 annually
Compensation package includes:
A competitive base salary, bonus potential based on achieving and/or exceeding key performance indicators, health insurance, and paid international travel.
Note: This job description is intended as a guideline only, and does not limit in any way the duties or responsibilities of any employee. Nothing herein shall be constructed as a contract of employment, expressed or implied. All employment is terminable at will, with or without cause. These Numbers Have Faces is an equal opportunity employer.